This has been a long time coming. I’ve been working on this recipe before we launched the site back in February. I kept tweaking the recipe till I got it right. My friend/neighbor/recipe tester and all-around biggest fan of healtyummyfood has been on my case to finalize this recipe so she can enjoy it. The day has finally arrived and I can share this recipe with you.
I kept working on the ratios between the flours to get a nice tortilla that’s pliable and that could pass the taco test, hold up ingredients nicely and not overpower other any flavor. I’m more than happy with the result as these are also the perfect size for tacos, for a burrito they would have to be slightly bigger. The end-product is quite filling and trust when I say that 3 filled tacos are more than enough as a serving. From this portion you can make a total of 6 tortillas which are good for 2 servings.
While you wait for the pulled pork recipe to go up at the end of this week you can try these tortillas with the chicken fajitas and mango guacamole. The best is yet to come.
- 1⅓ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup + 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup hot water
- Mix the almond flour, tapioca and salt in a bowl.
- Measure out the hot water and add the 2 tsp of olive oil to it.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour in the hot water with olive oil.
- Quickly start mixing with a spoon until it starts to form a ball, at this point you can start kneading with your hands to incorporate all the flour and you get a playdough consistency.
- Split dough into 6 equal parts and roll into a ball.
- You can either use a tortilla press or roll out each ball between parchment paper into 15-17cm in diameter.
- Heat up a pan up to medium heat, you don’t need to add any oil to the pan.
- Toast your tortillas in the pan for 1-1,5 minute, you will know it is time to flip when the tortilla starts inflating and creating air pockets.
- Flip and toast on the other side for another 30 seconds.
- Place on a plate and cover with damp cloth to keep them soft till serving.
- Repeat steps 8-10 to finish all tortillas.
- Best served immediately.
Thank you so much for sharing! I’ve had these so many times since you put them up! Incredibly easy and quick to make – I’ve noticed too that they’re quite filling, so the perfect serving for me is 2 with all the fillings. I’m not tempted by a third because I know it’ll push me over the edge! I then have plenty to eat for lunch on the following days so winner winner, chicken (or pulled pork) dinner!
Yay happy to hear, totally agree that they are quite filling. For a next time you could also cut your leftovers into little triangles and bake them in the oven to crisp up and turn them into chips 😉