Menemen – Turkish Eggs and Peppers Breakfast
Menemen is a Turkish egg dish for breakfast. Of course, it can be prepared for lunch or dinner also. I prepared it for dinner. Everything is up to you. It’s a very delicious vegetarian, gluten and dairy free dish. Menemen is absolutely paleo and keto diet friendly. It’s low carb what is good news for everybody who wants to lose weight.
Easy to Make
I have been asked several times to publish very simple recipes. This is it. Menemen is very easy to make. Only few main ingredients are in it, add salt, pepper and marjoram, that’s it. It can be prepared very quickly, approx. this delicious one-pot dish is ready in half an hour.
In addition, you don’t have to do the dishes too much. You have to use only one frying pan and the Menemen can be served in it.
Slice the onions, peppers and chili, put into the big frying pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, until begin to soften. Add the chopped tomato, season and cook 6-8 minutes. Make holes in the onion, tomato and pepper mixture and crack eggs in them. Lid the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, until the eggs set. Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and serve. Make it, you won’t regret it.
Travel around the World – in The Kitchen
We cannot travel now because of the pandemic. We had some very nice holidays in Turkey. During these summer holidays, I got to know Turkish cuisine better. They make very varied, delicious dishes. Come with me to my culinary adventure, travel with me to Turkey now.
One-Pot Dishes from European Cuisines
Menemen - Turkish Eggs and Peppers Breakfast
- Big frying pan
- 1 big red bell pepper about 250 gram, deseeded and sliced
- 1 big green bell pepper about 250 gram, deseeded and sliced
- 2 onion about 160 gram each, sliced
- 1 red chili deseeded and sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 400 gram canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp cilantro roughly chopped
- Heat olive oil in a big (28 cm diameter) frying pan.
- Add the sliced onions, peppers and chili. Stir and cook them on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, until begin to soften.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, honey, marjoram, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes. The liquid will reduce. Taste and season it if it’s necessary.
- Make 4 holes in the mixture and place cracked eggs into them.
- Lid the pan and cook on medium low heat for about 4 minutes, until the eggs set.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving. Enjoy!