Paleo Spinach Breakfast Roll with Salmon
Paleo Spinach Breakfast Roll
When we switched to paleo diet in 2012, I had to get creative with breakfasts because processed food was not part of our diet anymore. Breakfast used to be very easy and fast with a sandwich layered with cheese and salami. But I had to figure it out what kind of healthy breakfast dishes to make that were also paleo compliant. Of course, for me the most important aspects were that it be delicious and that I could possibly prepare in advance. We don’t always have much time in the morning. Therefore having options I can make in advance was key. This paleo spinach breakfast roll turned out to be the perfect solution. And checks all my breakfast requirements. It’s easy to make, can be made in advance and tastes delicious. Simply make it in the evening, store it in the fridge and eat in the morning.
If possible prep your breakfast in the evening to save time in the morning.
Salmon, avocado and fats
Just a spinach roll does not a breakfast make. To complete it and make it a balanced and filling breakfast I added salmon and avocado. Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids which helps to balance your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio (don’t worry I’ll get back to this). And avocados which provide a healthy dose of monounsaturated fatty acids and are filled with nutrients. To cut the prep down I got smoked wild salmon, which you only need to add to your plate.
Omega-6 vs Omega-3
Ok, back to the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Over the years omega-6 have gotten a bad reputation. And the reason for that is twofold. First there are actual bad omega-6 fats. Like industrial oils; safflower, sunflower, canola and corn to name a few. But also shortening and margarine. All these can be found in prepackaged and processed food. Secondly, the rate at which we ingest omega-6 vs omega 3 is too high. Which led many to the believe that we should not ingest omega-6 fats. The reality is that you should aim to come close to a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 intake. Currently people are closer to a 16:1 ratio. This doesn’t mean a complete removal of omega-6 fats from your diet. But a removal of bad omega-6 and increase of omega-3 to balance it out as much as possible.
You might wonder why this is important? Well, having your omega ratios off balance can lead to excessive and even chronic inflammation in the body which can have numerous other side effects. It can make you prone to heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer’s and other diseases with an inflammatory root. Omega-3 can be found in fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna and sardines. But also, in eggs, nuts and seeds. Maybe I went deep into the explanation here, but I guess you have a better understanding of your omega ratios now. But also the importance of a balance breakfast or meal for that matter.
Paleo Spinach Breakfast Roll with Salmon and Avocado
- 500 gram spinach washed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 40 ml almond milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper freshly ground
- 250 gram smoked wild salmon sliced
- 2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 1 handful rucola
- 2 slices lemon
- extra splash olive oil and lemon juice
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a deep frying pan on the stove.
- Add spinach with 1 tsp salt and cook for 8-10 minutes until the spinach collapses to ¼ part of it and most of the excess liquids evaporate. Stir constantly.
- Put cooked spinach into colander and push the excess liquid out. It doesn't have to be dry, it's good when it's creamy.
- Make the eggroll. Line a 20 cm x 24 cm baking tray with silicone baking mat.
- Whisk eggs with tapioca flour, almond flour, almond milk, ¼ tsp salt and a bit of freshly ground pepper until you get a homogeneous texture.
- Pour egg mixture to the baking tray and smooth it evenly. Bake it in the oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Take it out from the oven and roll it up for 3-4 minutes, because it will be easier to roll it up without breaking after filling.
- Spread spinach evenly and roll it up again.
- Place rucola to the middle of the plates. Splash with olive oil and a bit of lemon juice.
- Slice the eggroll and place slices to plates with sliced wild salmon and sliced avocado.
- Season avocado with salt and pepper. Enjoy!