Zucchini Egg Nests with Pesto
Get ready for brunch today as I serve up these zucchini egg nests with delicious home-made pesto. I used Andrea’s recipe to create these beautiful and delicious egg nest with her pine nut basil pesto. A great addition to any brunch table if you ask me.
In my quest for this recipe I’ve tried a few different iterations not all of them successful, but finally I got this version right. This is exactly what we mean when we say we don’t post any recipe without testing it a few times first and it doesn’t go up until we are happy with it. I can definitely say I’m happy with this one.
I used a simple potato peeler to get the thin slices of the zucchini, once you start getting more in the middle it will start breaking and falling apart because of the seeds I simply flipped it over and continued on the other side of the zucchini. You will have a middle section left that you can’t use for this recipe but you could easily chop it up and use it for example to make a veggie stir fry.
I made the zucchini egg nests in individual iron cast pans but they can also be made in oven proof ramekins about 13-15 cm in diameter. The last few minutes are crucial and changes the structure of the egg completely so check the timer between the 12- and 15-minutes mark. Closer to 12 it will be slightly runny and towards 15 you will get a well-done version. All depending on your personal preference.
Zucchini Egg Nest with Pesto
- two 13-15cm ramekins or iron cast pans
- 2 zucchini thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 100 gram pine nut pistachio basil pesto
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grab 2 ramekins or cast iron pans and place 1 tsp of olive in each on the bottom.
- Place the sliced zucchini on the edge and move your way inward between each layer adding a thin layer of pesto. Each ramekin will hold approximately 1 zucchini, excluding the seeds section in the middle of the zucchini.
- Once you’ve finished with the zucchini you can crack 2 eggs in each ramekin and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on how you like your eggs.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle some salt on the eggs and enjoy your breakfast.