Yes, we can already feel Spring hanging in the air and this couscous is light and filled with fresh herbs and veggies that are still available during this time. I went to the supermarket to check what they still have available and put a nice couscous salad together.
We had this as a light and fresh lunch while the sun was shining in our living room, but you can easily have this as a side dish and add a nice protein next to it for example Andrea’s delicious Irish Rib Steak.
I like adding lemon juice whenever I’m cooking cauliflower rice, because I find it neutralizes the pungent smell it can have. Also, please beware that I am obsessed with garlic, so any other person would tell you that 2 garlic cloves are enough and I will always tell you to double that. That’s how I end up with a minimum of 4 cloves for everything I make. Don’t worry it creates a nice base for all the other herbs you will add on later and it doesn’t only taste like garlic. Trust me!
Spring Cauliflower Couscous
- 400 gram riced cauliflower
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 juice of lime
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander seeds ground
- ½ cup dried apricots chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup fresh mint chopped, leave a few leaves intact for garnish
- 3 green onions sliced
- ½ cucumber deseeded, sliced on diagonal
- 1 handful almond chopped
- Heat up the coconut oil in a pan and add the minced garlic cloves. Stir regularly for 1 minute.
- Add riced cauliflower and mix to coat them with the coconut oil.
- Add ground coriander seed, salt and juice of 1 lime.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes and regularly stirring to cook evenly.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooling, chop apricots and add to a bowl containing red wine vinegar and warm water. This will soften the apricots and balance the sweetness with some acidity.
- Drain apricots after 15 minutes.
- Once cauliflower has cooled add the coriander, chopped mint, green onions, cucumber and mix well.
- Sprinkle chopped almonds just before serving on top.
- Serve immediately or set to cool in the fridge till you are ready to eat.