Paleo Lemon Coconut Pudding
The most liked posts on our social media are dessert and I have to be honest, I can understand why. I try to find the best solution to make a healthy and yummy dessert. To serve an okay “almost good” cake, cookie or dessert is not an option for me. There is no compromise! I am very picky, it has to be delicious, pretty and very good. Yes, they have to be pretty, because the eye is one of the most important senses and you start eating with your eyes first.
Another important factor is time, we do not want to spend hours in the kitchen every day after work. A lot of our recipes help to save time, without reducing the quality. These little puddings are a good example of all of the above. Delicious, beautiful, easy, no compromise.
When we changed our general diet to paleo diet/style, the first half year was the age of experiments. I had to discover new basic ingredients, get to know their nature that are different from those I used so far. I realized I do not have to give up eating nice food, desserts, I have to find new way.
This pudding is made from 5 ingredients. Just 5 basic ingredients, nothing extra, coconut cream, honey, desiccated coconut, gelatin and lemon. That’s all! It’s possible to make a citrus sauce and you don’t need additional fruit. I made this variety with blackberry sauce to show an alternative option. It all depends on you, use your creativity when you make desserts. Play with flavors, sweet and sour, and play with colors, it’s a great feeling when the goal is putting smiles to people’s faces.
I use coconut cream because the pudding consistency is better with it. I tried to make it with coconut milk too, but it was not silky enough, and after cooling it was not perfectly homogeneous, I was not satisfied with the result.
When you want to use citrus zest in any food, buy organic all the time! Organic citrus is not treated with chemicals, does not get nice and shiny artificial coating. It is possible to use orange zest and juice instead of lemon in this pudding. It is another option and also delicious, try it!
Paleo Lemon Coconut Pudding
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest organic lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice organic lemon
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or ground vanilla
Sauce and Decoration
- 150 gram blackberry
- 1 tsp lemon zest organic
- 1 tsp lime zest organic
- 1 tbsp honey
- Put coconut cream and honey into a pan.
- Mix gelatin with water in a small bowl and add to coconut cream.
- Cook and stir constantly on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the first bubbles. (Of course, it takes longer if you make bigger portion.)
- Reduce the heat to low and add lemon zest, vanilla paste and desiccated coconut. Stir it and turn off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and mix it.
- Pour into small silicone pudding forms and put in a cold place for 20 minutes. (Use silicon molds otherwise it will be very difficult to remove the puddings without damage.)
- Make blackberry sauce while pudding sets in cool place. Choose some nice blackberry to decorate your pudding later. Put the rest into small saucepan and add 1 tbsp honey.
- Cook on medium heat, bubbling for 8-10 minutes until it is thicker.
- Pass it through a fine sieve, because you need a silky sauce.
- Take the little puddings out of the molds and place them on a serving plate.
- Decorate them with blackberries and sauce, or with lemon and lime zest, and a bit of ground vanilla. These are optional, use your creativity.