Paleo Hazelnut Waffle with Cream and Berries
Today I actually had another dessert planned but through a series of unfortunate events I ended up making this delicious fruity hazelnut waffle instead.
The result of the original dessert was catastrophic. I have no idea why it happened, because I’ve made that batter a lot of times. For sure I’ve made it at least 20 times and it always worked well. I tell you all of this, because we all have our bad days in the kitchen and everybody makes mistakes. Sometimes the ingredients are not working as expected. Maybe because of the eggs, or the flour is a bit different even differences in temperature can make a huge difference. But I do not give up, I will try again a bit later but I put it off for now. So, do not be desperate if it happens to you too. It’s okay to be a bit angry! I was angry too and switched my mindset and made this delicious fruity hazelnut waffle instead.
This is not the first time I share a waffle recipe with you, it’s not even the second time. But the other waffle recipes were both savory. I have a great option for breakfast with the Green banana waffle with sunny-side up. And the perfect snack with sweet potato waffles and avocado dip. This hazelnut waffle with vanilla cream and berries is a delicious dessert. This one is also paleo, absolutely gluten free, grain free, dairy free.
The word “waffle” is derived from the Dutch “wafel” and goes all the way back to the 13th century. You can read its longer history in my sweet potato waffles post, it’s very interesting.
I use a very simple electric waffle maker, but all waffle makers differ from each other, some heat faster than others example. When I suggest baking time, it’s a starting point, everything depends on your waffle maker and the temperature of the ingredients of course.
It is also called Turkish hazelnut which is not a coincidence, because Turkey produces 67% of the hazelnut in the world total. Followed by Italy, Azerbaijan, USA and China.
We are using hazelnut in different dishes. You can find hazelnut in one of my favorite side dishes muhammara, in paleo rolls and in our very popular hazelnut chocolate cream a la Nutella. This nut is often used in paleo diet.
Hazelnut contains high amounts of protein, dietary fiber, vitamin E, iron, phosphorus, manganese, significant amounts of B vitamins, Vitamin K, calcium, zinc and potassium. It is rich in antioxidants, and a blood-pressure-lowering amino acid called L-arginine.
Paleo Hazelnut Waffle with Vanilla Cream and Berries
- Waffle maker
- 120 gram hazelnut flour
- 50 gram tapioca flour/starch
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter melted
- 60 ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 500 gram berries
- 60 gram dark chocolate 85%
- 2 tsp cocoa butter melted
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 3 tbsp honey
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder
- 2 tbsp water
- Make vanilla cream first. Whisk eggs and honey in a bowl, until light yellow color and the size is doubled.
- Heat coconut cream until the first bubble in a pan, then pour it into the egg mixture very slowly and stirring permanently. Be careful, otherwise you will get scrambled eggs if you do not pour it slowly enough.
- Pour the mixture back to the pan and cook it on medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes, until it’s thickened, stirring permanently. Do not boil it!
- Switch off the heat.
- Mix the gelatin powder and water, then add to the vanilla sauce mixture with vanilla extract together. Stir well!
- Cover it and put it into the fridge for at least 2-3 hours until it’s thickened.
- Preheat electric waffle maker.
- Put all waffle ingredients (except berries!) into the blender and blend it for 2 minutes, until creamy consistency.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp batter into the waffle maker and bake it for 3-4 minutes, depends on your electric machine. This portion is enough for 8 medium size or 6 big size waffles.
- Never forget to grease the iron plates with melted coconut oil before you spoon the batter on them!
- Before serving, whisk the vanilla cream until smooth and put it into piping bag.
- Push vanilla cream from piping bag to the waffles and place berries to the top of the cream.
- Melt the dark chocolate with melted cocoa butter above steam (Bain Marie).
- For the last step, pour 2 teaspoons melted chocolate to the berries and your healthy and yummy dessert is ready to serve.