Paleo Chili and Seeds Cracker
This gluten, lactose and egg free cracker is very good with a cup of tea as a nice little afternoon snack. We have accumulated quite a few sweet snacks so I thought it was time to add something savory to the blog. I combined all the seeds I could find, black and white sesame, flax and chia seeds. While it might sound like I threw everything together they all taste very delicious together and complement each other. They also deliver a massive amount of nutrients with very few calories.
You will notice Parmigiano Reggiano listed between the ingredients, but it is 100% naturally lactose free parmesan cheese. Paleo dieters remain divided when it comes to the use of Parmigiano Reggiano, very strict followers avoid it, but most of them allow for some parmesan and cheddar. Natural, aged cheese can be digested by many people with lactose intolerance.
In most of my cakes and cookies I use egg, but this time it was not necessary, because this batter can stay together without it. I think, it’s good news for everyone who has egg intolerance. Usually we pay a lot of attention to gluten and lactose intolerances, but egg intolerance is also a thing. Egg intolerance can lead to digestive complaints, neurological problems, skin issues, fatigue, joint pain, psychological problems, respiratory complaints. These symptoms are not always immediately apparent and can be delayed for up to 72 hours. One of our friends can even get a reaction from a kiss from her kids that just ate eggs, in her case the symptoms are very serious. I hope she will be happy to see this recipe.
In this recipe I used ghee instead of butter. Ghee is a class of clarified butter that originated in India and is made by simmering regular butter in order to separate its components and remove the casein and lactose. One of my other friends can’t tolerate casein, not just lactose. Ghee is a really good substitute for butter, you can cook with it and spread on your bread. Another good news, ghee is almost completely pure fat, it doesn’t contain any carbohydrates. We can say this cracker is good for followers of the keto diet.
Paleo Chili and Seeds Cracker
- 250 gram blanched almond flour
- 160 gram Parmigiano Reggiano parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp baking powder gluten free
- 2 tbsp golden flax seed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- ¾ tsp chili powder if you like hotter, add 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 100 gram ghee melted (or butter but it will be not paleo)
- 1 tsp salt
- Put dry ingredients into a bowl and mix them.
- Add mustard and melted ghee in it. Knead by hands, make a ball from the dough, cover it and put int into the fridge for 40-45 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Roll the dough out between two parchment paper to 4-5 mm thick.
- Cut rolled out batter to same size crackers. Use a simple round cookie cutter.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place crackers on the tray and bake them for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool down completely and save in a jar for up to a week.