Crispy Chinese Sesame Chicken Thighs
Sticky, Crispy Chinese Dish in Paleo Diet
These crispy and sticky chicken bites with sesame seeds are made in Chinese style. My dish is suitable for the gluten-, lactose- and soy-free paleo diet. I use traditional Chinese ingredients and flavors, but I substitute few ingredients:
- Tapioca flour instead of wheat flour
- Coconut sugar instead of cane sugar
- Coconut aminos instead of soy sauce
These three ingredients are part of the paleo diet and they do not spoil traditional Chinese flavours.
The gluten free tapioca flour has a neutral taste and same texture as wheat flour. I use it to thicken sauces, soups, and it’s great for coating like in this dish. Tapioca flour is a great ingredient of some cakes, pastas and snacks also.
Coconut sugar is sweet almost like brown sugar but with a slight hint of caramel. This sugar has become very popular in the past few years. It is the dehydrated sap of the coconut palm. Regular table sugar does not contain any vital nutrients. Coconut sugar contains a very small amounts of minerals (iron, zinc, calcium and potassium), antioxidants and fiber. Its glycemic index (GI) is lower than regular sugar’s GI. Coconut sugar contains a fiber called inulin, which may slow glucose absorption and explain why it has a lower GI. But be careful! It is very similar to regular sugar, although it is not as processed but contains almost the same amount of fructose as regular sugar. Coconut sugar is healthier than refined sugar, but sugar free diet is the healthiest.
Soy sauce is a popular seasoning sauce in Asian Cuisine, but it’s not suitable for all diet plans.When the diet demands to reduce the salt, avoid gluten or eliminate soy, coconut aminos is a good alternative. And some people’s digestive system can’t tolerate soy sauce. Coconut aminos is savory seasoning sauce made from the fermented sap of coconut palm and sea salt. It is similar in color and consistency to light soy sauce, but it has a milder, sweeter flavor. Coconut aminos doesn’t taste like coconut. It is a great substitute of the soy sauce.
Paleo Chinese Dishes
Crispy Chinese Sesame Chicken Thighs
For the chicken
- 400 gram chicken thighs boneless
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 200 gram tapioca flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 150 ml coconut oil or rapeseed oil
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup paleo
- 4 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 spring onion sliced
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- I serve with steamed broccoli,carrot, green bean, mushroom mix and cauliflower rice.
- Place 80 gram tapioca flour in a bowl and beaten eggs with ¼ tsp salt in another one.
- Mix 120 gram tapioca flour with ¼ tsp salt, garlic powder, paprika powder and pepper in a 3rd bowl.
- Chop the boneless chicken thighs to bite-size pieces and season with some pinches of salt.
- The chicken bites have to be completely dry before starting the next process. Use a paper towel to dry the meat on all sides. (Excess moisture makes the flour soggy, but we do not want this.)
- Dredge the chicken bites in small batches into the tapioca flour first, then dip them in the beaten eggs. Cover the bites perfectly with the beaten eggs. Finally put them to the seasoned tapioca flour mixture and cover the bites perfectly with this third layer.
- Heat coconut oil or rapeseed oil in a wok until hot.
- Put a batch of coated chicken bites into the hot oil and cook for 5-6 minutes, until golden brown. Turn them several times during cooking. Repeat the process until you have bites. (Cook them in batches otherwise they will stick together.) Place ready chicken bites to paper towel.
- Make the sticky sauce. Clean the wok. Add all sauce ingredients in a bowl and combine.
- Heat the wok to hot and pour the sauce mixture in it. Cook on high heat for 2-3 minutes. It has to bubbling. Do not burn it, stir constantly.
- Add the coated chicken bites, stir very gently to cover them with the sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes. It will be sticky. Sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds before serving. Toss some spring onion slices to the top.
- Serve with steamed vegetables or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!