Butternut Squash and Mushroom Risotto
My risotto is meatless now. It is very tasty, gluten and lactose free. We like the flavors of Italian cuisine very much. “Riso” means rice in Italian. Risotto is cooked with broth until it reaches a creamy consistency. The broth can be made from chicken, beef, fish or vegetables. It depends on what kind of risotto you want to make. Onion, wine and parmesan cheese are also the main ingredients of risottos.
Risotto is a first course in Italy, served before the main course. We eat it for main course all the time, for lunch or dinner. My son loves to eat the leftover risotto for breakfast too. Dear Italian friends, I’m sorry for breaking your tradition, but a small portion for first course is never enough. It’s too delicious.
I made this dish in Instant Pot. The cooking time is less than in classic method and the result is great.
Yes, I know, rice is not paleo friendly. It is grain, but it is gluten free. I make rice dishes very rarely. I make cauliflower or broccoli rice many times they are very good substitutes. But this risotto is not working without rice. Arborio rice is the best for it, but it’s possible to use Basmati also, if you do not have the other one at home.
Rice is a lot different from most other cereal grains. There are more than 40,000 different types of rice all around the world. It is free of the protein gluten. This is a very important difference. White rice is considered an empty carbohydrate because it loses its main source of nutrients during processing. (Brown rice contains more nutrients.) The kernel is mostly pure starch and contains no toxins or nutrients. In the US and many other countries, white rice is enriched with added nutrients, including iron and B vitamins like folic acid, niacin, thiamine.
The glycemic index (GI) of the white rice is 64. It is medium in the score ranges. Studies have noticed a connection between higher intakes of white rice and diabetes.
Rice is definitely high in carbohydrates (CH). 100 gram of white rice has 28 grams of CH. Rice is not part of the ketogenic diet. But it does not mean you have to say goodbye to rice completely. The quantity is always decisive.
Dishes with Cauliflower and Broccoli Rice
Butternut Squash and Mushroom Risotto
- Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker
- 1 medium onion about 140 gram, finely cut
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1.5 tsp fresh rosemary leaves finely cut
- 2 tbsp fresh sage leaves finely cut
- 600 gram butternut squash peeled and diced
- 4 pcs Portobello mushroom about 300 gram, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 220 gram Arborio risotto rice or basmati rice if you don't have Arborio
- 700 ml chicken broth
- 150 ml Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper freshly ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch saffron
- 150 gram Parmigiano Reggiano or other Parmesan cheese grated
- Some nice fresh sage leaves for decoration
- Add olive oil and onion to the Instant Pot and sauté the onion on “Sauté” and “More” adjust mode for 3-4 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Stir frequently.
- Add chopped thyme leaves, rosemary and 1.5 tbsp sage leaves. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add butternut squash, stir with onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add wine, stir and cook for 1.5 minutes.
- Add rice and combine with all ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Add chicken broth, saffron, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir well.
- Close the lid and cook for 8 minutes on “Manual” and “High” pressure mode.(Steam release handle has to be on "Sealing" position.)
- Use quick release mode.(Turn steam release handle to "Venting" mode.)
- Add 60 gram grated Parmigiano Reggiano, or other Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Add ½ tbsp finely cut fresh sage leaves. Stir and taste. Season with salt and pepper if it’s necessary.
- Serve to plates, sprinkle with a bit of Parmesan cheese and decorate with fresh whole sage leaves or parsley. Enjoy!