I’m going to start off by saying that one portion of this rösti won’t be enough. If you’re by yourself maaaybe, but if other people are around you need to at least double the portion or you’ll regret it later. It’s so good you don’t want to be sharing with anyone. I’m speaking from experience, the boyfriend always want a piece so I just make him his own portion and we keep the peace.
Röstis are one of the things I always look forward to eating when we are going to a Christmas market in Germany. Funny thing is, it is actually a Swiss breakfast dish originally made with potatoes. I decided to play on that and made my rösti with zucchini and onion and place this in the category of all-day breakfast. It’s for those weird days when you end up having breakfast for dinner. It’s crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle, try it, I promise it won’t disappoint.
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup tapioca
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp lactose free crème fraiche
- 2 tsp chives chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Place your grated zucchini in a sieve on top of a bowl. Sprinkle some salt on top mix and let it sit for about 30 minutes. The salt will help draw out the moisture from the zucchini.
- Use the back of your spoon to gently press the zucchini to the sides of the sieve and press out any remaining water. Throw out the liquid and place the grated zucchini in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic powder, tapioca, almond flour and whisked egg to the zucchini and mix well.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan on medium-high heat and place a ¼ of the mixture in the pan. Use the back of your spoon to press the mixture down into a round flat shape. With my pan I was able to cook 2 rösti at a time.
- You will notice the sides beginning to brown after 1-2 minutes, that means it is time to flip. Let it cook on the other side for another minute or 2 and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tbsp of lactose free crème fraiche with the chopped chives and place on top of your rösti. Enjoy!