I use to make this a lot when we just started eating paleo and this muffin was very popular with my son’s team-mates when they went to karate competitions and would spend the whole day in a sporthall. It supplied them with energy and of course it’s yummy.
My mom has a huge walnut tree in her backyard and every year I get a huge bag of the best quality cleaned shelled walnuts. You can appreciate my excitement if you’ve ever had to clean your own walnuts for a recipe. You need to open them slowly if you want to keep the walnut intact. You will need nice whole walnuts if you want to decorate a cake, salad or serve it with cheese. For this recipe it’s less important because the walnuts need to be finely ground for the muffin.
Walnuts have several health benefits. They are rich in antioxidants which can help fight oxidative damage in your body. Walnuts are higher in omega-3 fat than any other nuts, which may help reduce heart disease risk and it is important in the development and function of the central nervous system too. Good fats (polyunsaturated fats), support good brain function and brain health. Walnuts also contain iron, selenium, calcium, zinc, Vitamin E and some B vitamins. It fits into any style of eating because of their low carbohydrate value.
Walnuts are best stored below 25°C and low humidity. Temperatures above 30°C and 70% humidity can lead to rapid spoilage and above 75% humidity a dangerous fungus develops. The ideal temperature for longest storage is between -3°C and 0°C and low humidity.
Walnut Banana Muffin
- 12 cup Muffin pan
- 400 gram ground walnuts
- 50 gram almond flour
- 100 ml water
- 1 tsp vanilla exctract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp xylitol or erythritol if you can't tolerate it, use coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 bananas peeled and cut into 2cm chunck
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Insert cupcake liners into 12-muffin pan.
- Mix ground walnuts with almond flour, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, sugar, eggs and water in food processor.
- Fill the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Push one banana chunk into each muffin cup.
- Put muffin pan into the oven and bake it 20-25 minutes.
- Take muffins out from the pan and leave them to cool on baking grid.