Vegan Carrot Seeds Cracker
I’ve been wanting to create a completely vegan cracker for a while. And I finally managed what initially seemed impossible. No gluten, no nuts, no dairy, no casein no anything. Just seeds, carrots and spices and you have yourself a seeds cracker. It’s actually crispy and is a great snack. Technically you could omit the spices in order to have it homemade jam. But personally, I like the cracker as a salty snack.
I also added nutritional yeast which functions to give the cracker a hint of parmesan taste. It’s very similar to conventional yeast that is used for baking. Through the process of heating and drying it becomes inactive as yeast. Nutritional yeast is quite easy to get nowadays at your local supermarkets. The only thing you might need to pay attention to is the ingredients list. The first time I got it, I didn’t pay close attention and only once I got home I realized they mixed it with wheat flour to increase the quantities. Which defeats the purpose. So, it definitely warrants some extra attention to the ingredients list. They always try to sneak things into our food.
These crackers are actually quite easy to make. The only thing is that it will take some time. But it’s definitely worth it. First, you’ll have to wait for the chia seeds to expand in the mixture to hold everything together. And it will take a total of 1 hour and 30 minutes in the oven to completely dehydrate all the moisture in the mixture to create a crispy cracker. The point is to keep temperature low in order to not to burn the seeds through this process. In all honesty yes, the process is long but the crackers will be worth it.
If you are wondering what you should have these crackers with. Well we have a bunch of spreads on the blog to help you get started. What about some onion chutney with paleo spicy cashew ‘cheese’. Or mango guacamole is also an excellent choice. But we also have pine nut basil pesto, chicken liver parfait, muhammara and baba ganoush. I decided to stop there, don’t want to overwhelm you with options.
Carrot Seeds Crackers
- 1½ cup water
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ¾ cup flaxseeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup carrots grated
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add grated carrots and water and stir together. Set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Cover 2 baking sheets in parchment paper and divide mixture over 2 baking sheets.
- Use the back of a spoon to spread out the mixture as thin as possible without creating gaps.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes, remove and with a sharp knife or pizza cutter mark the sizes of the crackers you would like. This makes it easier to break apart once it’s done.
- Place back in the oven for 1 hour. Make sure it’s completely dehydrated once you take it out or let it go for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool down completely. Break apart and store in airtight container.