Tuna Patties with Fresh Salad
Another one of my mom’s quick and easy type of recipes. Simple tuna patties with salad. These aren’t her recipes but my reimagined version of how I would make them. The hot tuna patties with this refreshing salad just reminds me of sitting in my mother’s kitchen and being served something quite similar.
With just a little bit of tapioca you get a nice crunch on the outside while the inside remains nice and soft. The recipe makes 4 tuna patties and is good for 2 people. The vinaigrette however will last you longers, there’s no point in going through all this work for only a tiny bit of vinaigrette. It tastes amazing so no complaints here, enjoy it on other salads or roasted veggies. Make sure to store the vinaigrette in the fridge.
I don’t know what kind of peppers they are selling here in the Netherlands, but they are not spicy at all. I remember jalapeños being spicier. There are 2 option in this scenario:
- they’re selling tasteless hot peppers
- I’m losing my taste for hot peppers
I suspect the first one, but either way what I’m trying to get at here is to build the heat in small bits and see what feels good for your taste buds. I definitely went for more, sneaked some chili flakes in there that, did the trick. I will remain on the lookout for actual hot peppers and if you have an explanation as to what is happening to peppers in Europe or my taste buds comment below.
Tuna Patties with Fresh Salad
- 2 tuna can 200 gram total net weight
- ½ small onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper deseeded and finely diced
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- 1 lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ cup tapioca
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 orange
- ¾ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp mustard
- 125 gram corn salad/lamb's lettuce
- ½ cucumber cut in half and thinly sliced
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- Drain the liquid from the tuna cans.
- In a bowl add tuna, onion, jalapeño, coriander, lime juice, salt and garlic powder and mix well.
- Taste to check if you want to add more seasoning. If it’s good you can add the egg and tapioca to the mixture and combine together.
- Divide the mixture into 4 sections and roll them into balls. Place on a flat surface and slightly press down to make into flat discs.
- Heat up a pan with the coconut oil.
- Place patties in the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- Zest and then squeeze the lemon, lime and orange. Make sure to strain to liquid so as not to get pulp in your vinaigrette.
- Whisk olive oil, honey, mustard and white wine vinegar with the citrus mix.
- Add salt to taste.
- Save in a container in the fridge, because this is good for quite a few salads.
- Shake before using.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add vinaigrette to salad and toss to coat all ingredients.
- Serve with tuna patties. Feel free to add more vinaigrette once you have plated.