Raw Carrot Cake Balls
I had a plan and the plan was to make carrot cake. But there was no way I was adding more heat to our apartment during the last couple of days. Instead I made carrot cake balls, which are raw and very filling. With only 2 pieces you are set for snack time.
This was a thing of beauty, simply throwing all ingredients into the food processor and mixing it all together. Or at least that is how I imagine it would be, since I’m lazy and still haven’t ordered my new blades for my food processor. Yes you read that right I did everything by hand, simply choppity chop and I made it happen. This goes to show that you don’t always need the equipment when it’s listed. Of course, it will make your life easier, but whether you are lazy like me and are missing pieces or simply haven’t had time or money to invest in a food processor yet there’s always a way. How else would our ancestors have done this back in the day, just think about that and for example other recipes we have requesting instant pot or slow cooker. It cooks faster and provides the opportunity to set something and not having to pay attention to it anymore. But if you don’t have these tools, you can still make them say in the oven or on the stove. It will just require more attention and time.
Back to the carrot cake balls, I used tahini as I like how it balances out the sweetness of the dates. Simply give it a try the first time around, if you haven’t had it before it might be a taste you need time to adjust your palate to. I packed these balls with a lot of carrots and imagine it’s a great way to sneak in some veggies for kids that have difficulty eating their veggies. Do pay attention that these are meant as a snack and 2 balls are actually quite filling.
A last little note, just because it was too hot last week and I made raw carrot cake balls instead of the baked cake doesn’t mean you won’t get a carrot cake in the near future. Can be either from me or Andrea, we will battle it out to see who gets to make you the carrot cake but not to fret you shall get carrot cake. Coming soon!
Raw Carrot Cake Balls
- Food Processor (Optional)
- 2 cups carrots grated about 100 gram
- 5 medjool dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup coconut flakes toasted
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon zest
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- Add everything except the walnuts to a food processor and mix till it comes together in a big ball.
- Don’t have a food processor, you can still make these by chopping everything finely and mix it by hand. Which is how I did, because I have no working blade at the moment.
- Roll the mixture into 14 balls.
- Place the chopped walnuts in a bowl and gently roll the balls to coat each with chopped walnuts. The bigger chunks you can gently press into the ball.
- Place on a baking tray and freeze for 2 hours. I like to freeze them on the baking tray because they each keep their shape and don’t freeze into each other.
- Remove from freezer and place into a container to keep in the fridge.