This muffin was my first paleo muffin in 2012, back then I made it with cranberry. It just takes 15 minutes to prepare and 20-25 minutes to bake . Don’t say it’s long!
You can use any type of berry and it’s very delicious with apple too. I refined the recipe a bit during the years, this is the latest version which is very popular with my family members and my son’s team-mates at the karate club. Back in the day when we would spent a whole day in a sports-hall for karate competitions we would take this to share with my son’s teammates.
Muffin or cupcakes? With similar ingredients people often think they are same. But no, they are not. Cupcakes are much sweeter than muffins and a cupcake would not be a cupcake without frosting on the top. Muffins are not as sweet and can also be savory! In my salty version I often add bacon, steamed vegetables, cheddar cheese or nuts.
Almond flour is a main ingredient of many paleo cakes and breads. In this recipe I combine it with coconut flour because it will absorb the moisture and the muffin will not be wet.
I use muffin liners, which makes it easier to take the baked muffins out from the tin. Don’t worry if you don’t have any at hand, it’s very easy to make them out of baking paper. Check Tips and Tricks!
- 12 cup Muffin pan
- 140 gram blanched almond flour
- 30 gram coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp xylit you can substitute with agave syrup if you can't tolerate xylit
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 ml coconut cream plus extra if it's necessary to get a smooth consistency with the batter
- 1 pinch salt
- 24 pcs raspberries
- 48 pcs chocolate chips 85% dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Place egg yolks into a bowl and reserve the whites in another.
- Whisk egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric whisk (or hand whisk) until you get firm peaks.
- Mix egg yolk, xylit (or agave syrup), olive oil, coconut milk (or coconut cream) and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mix to egg yolk mix and finally the whisked egg whites. Stir it carefully, to not break the foamy egg whites, because the muffin will not be airy. If the batter is too dry, add a bit more coconut cream into it.
- Fill the prepared 12 cup muffin pan with the batter. Fill it up to ¾ of the cup, because the batter will rise.
- Push 2 raspberries and 4 chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until it is golden brown.
- Do a needle test, just insert trussing needle into the center of one of the muffins, if it comes out clean, your muffin is ready.
Hi! Coconut cream , is it same as coconut milk? Can I sub it with anything? Thanks!
Dear Nicole, no, they are not same. Coconut cream’s texture is thicker, like cow milk cream. You can substitute with almond cream. I sent pm for you.