Peach Ice Cream
It is not summer without ice cream! Everybody loves ice cream in my family, but my mom and my hubby are the biggest fan of it. When we changed to paleo what is dairy free diet, I had to figure out how could I substitute milk and whipped cream, and also what I could use instead of all that sugar. In paleo we do not use rice, soy or oat milk what are the most common substitution, but after some trial and error I found the best solution. Almond cream, coconut cream and coconut yogurt gave the most delicious results. The taste of almonds is more neutral, but the taste of coconut milk and yoghurt did not suppress the main ingredients taste. And I use honey instead of sugar.
I made peach ice cream, because it is in season now. Also, peach is one of my favorites, and I like the variety that has a strong yellow color inside and when it is nice ripe and juicy. I know it’s a bit strange, but I peel them every time before I eat them because I do not like its hairy skin.
Do you know how difficult it is to take pictures of ice cream?! I had to do it very fast otherwise it would have been a sauce. I tried my best. Commercial ice creams contain artificial ingredients and stabilizers to improve the texture and body of the product and to keep it from melting during transport but mine does not contain them of course. I used egg yolk as a basic ingredient like in Italian ice cream, gelato. Egg yolk makes a creamier texture, also improves the stability of ice cream, reducing its tendency to melt.
During storage, ice cream has a tendency to absorb other food odors and to form ice crystals and for that reason, store in a very well-sealed box and best not to freeze it for long periods of time.
The origin of this frozen dessert is unknown, but there are plenty of legends about it from ancient China over Mongolian empire to Greece and France. The only thing for sure is the first recipe in French for flavored ice appears in 1674. Ice cream was not a mass-product that time like now when you can buy it anywhere for cheap. Different countries and cultures developed their own versions of it, suiting the product to local tastes and preferences.
Peach Ice Cream
- Electric ice cream maker
Peach Ice Cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp almond extract natural
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 fresh ripe peaches peeled and deseeded
- 200 ml almond cream or lactose free whipping cream but it’s not paleo
- fresh peach or from tin
- melted chocolate
- Whisk egg yolk with honey in a bowl for 3-4 minutes, until it is foamy, doubles in size and turns almost white.
- Add lemon juice, almond extract and salt, mix them.
- Put fresh peeled deseeded peaches into blender and blend for 1,5 - 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add whisked egg yolk and blend 1-1,5 minutes until homogeneous and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and follow instructions. My ice cream maker worked for 40 minutes.
- Spoon the ice cream into small bowls or glasses and decorate with peach slices and melted chocolate.