Melon Ice Cream
I promised you more ice cream recipes and I’m back with more ice cream recipes. This time I made melon ice cream, because its melon season. I know it is available all year round, but the peak season runs between June and October in the Northern Hemisphere. Our principle is to use fruits and veggies during their peak season. You can use our monthly list that we share in our newsletter as a reference. We are also using this list and we are challenging you to use all the fruits and veggies within the month. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and we can go on this healthy journey together! Don’t hesitate, subscribe and ask us if you have any question and we answer as soon as possible.
I made this ice cream from Galia melon, but you can choose other variety of melons, like Cantaloupe, Canary melon, Honeydew melon, just choose your favorite!
I could not make perfect paleo version of this ice cream yet, because its consistency was not creamy enough with nut creams. It is not possible to make perfect, airy whipped cream from those unfortunately. The question was what compromise I have to make, my ice cream will be not creamy enough but then paleo or it will be perfectly creamy but not be dairy free. I made decision and used lactose free cream what is not dairy free, but a good solution for people who has lactose intolerance. Use almond cream if you want to make paleo ice cream or you have casein intolerance, or you are vegan. It will be also very delicious, but it will be less creamy. Last time when I made peach ice cream, I used almond cream and it was great, but peach contains less water than melon. It is big different between these two fruits. It always depends very much on what kind of fruit we use.
I put a bit of rum into the ice cream mixture, but this is optional, I do not recommend if you serve this ice cream to children too. Adults will like it very much, rum gives a bit of extra flavor.
Melon Ice Cream
- Electric ice cream maker
- 150 gram melon peeled and deseeded
- 150 ml lactose free cream
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 15 ml golden rum optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Cut melon to small pieces and put it into the blender. (I suggest you put melon into the fridge one day before use.)
- Add honey, lemon juice, lemon zest rum, vanilla extract and salt and blend them until creamy.
- Add 20 ml cream to the creamy mixture and blend for 1 minute more.
- Make whipped cream from the rest 130 ml cream.
- Add whipped cream to the melon mixture and stir it very gently. Do not break the whipped cream!
- Pour this mixture into your ice cream maker and follow your machine’s instructions.
- My machine needs 40 minutes to make a good ice cream.