Keto Cauliflower Cheddar Muffin
It’s Absolutely Keto – Briefly About Keto Diet
Cauliflower, eggs, cheddar and parmesan cheese are basic ingredients of the ketogenic (keto) diet’s dishes. All of them are low carb food and high in nutrients. I try to summarize the essence of keto diet in some sentences.
It is a very low carb, high fat diet. Its main rule is drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. The goal is to get more calories from fat than from carbs. This reduction in carbs puts your body into ketosis, which is a metabolic state. In this state, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy.
When you eat less than 50 grams of carbs a day, your body start to break down protein and fat for energy, which can make you lose weight. Keto diet became very popular because it is very effective in weight loss. But keto diet does not mean only weight loss. It is more than that.
Studies have now shown that the diet can have benefits for different health conditions. Keto diet can help reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slow its progression. A ketogenic diet can help lower insulin levels, which may play a key role in polycystic ovary syndrome. Some research suggests that diet may improve the outcome of traumatic brain injuries. Keep in mind that further research is needed in these areas.
You can find some very remarkable studies here and here.
Obesity increases cardiovascular diseases, is a major risk factor for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Read this study if you want to know more about effect of ketogenic diet on cardiovascular risk factors.
Keto diet, like all diets, is not recommended for everybody. Consult your doctor in all cases. The ketogenic diet is contraindicated in patients with pancreatitis, liver failure, disorders of fat metabolism, carnitine deficiencies, porphyrias, or pyruvate kinase deficiency.
Keto diet can cause dehydration, and hypoglycemia. You should always pay attention to hydration, blood sugar levels if you are following keto diet.
Keto Cauliflower Cheddar Muffin
- 400 gram cauliflower florets
- 100 gram cheddar grated
- 40 gram Parmigiano Reggiano parmesan cheese
- 5 eggs bio
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper freshly ground
- Place a bit of carrot,bacon, chorizo, mushroom, salmon, tomato, paprika to the top (optional).
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
- Place cauliflower florets to food processor and pulse for 30-40 seconds, until its consistency looks like semolina.
- Put it into a bowl and sprinkle with 3 pinches of salt. Leave it to rest for 5 minutes. Then gently squeeze the water out of it. Use a cheesecloth or strainer.
- Grate cheddar and parmesan. Add to the cauliflower.
- Beat the eggs. Add to the cauliflower too.
- Stir them and taste. Add freshly ground pepper and salt if it is necessary.
- Spoon the mixture into the holes. Garnish the top with peppers, mushrooms, salmon, onions, etc. Look around what's in the fridge. I place aluminum muffin cups into the holes. It will be easier to peel the muffins and the aluminum cups will not soak like paper.
- Put the tray into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Muffins are ready when they begin to separate from the alumni cups. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!