Jam Filled Coconut Balls
I’ve already started to share some Christmas dishes with you. And this cookie is next in line. Christmas is here soon. No matter how crazy this year has been. It’s time to start collecting Christmas recipes. Christmas cookie recipes to be exact. These cookies belong to Christmas, just like the Christmas tree. Their delicate vanilla, cinnamon and cloves scent evokes the holiday atmosphere even during the baking. These jam-filled coconut balls are one of the perfect sweets on your holiday table. It’s easy to make. And of course, it’s very delicious!
My grandmother used to make 4-5 varieties of cookies for Christmas. Nowadays we don’t really have the time to make so many varieties. But I heard a very good solution to overcome this problem. Together with some friends who like to bake, you can split the load. Everybody chooses one type of cookie like chocolate pistachio cookies or vanilla cookies and makes a really huge portion. Then everybody will share their cookies with each other. I think it’s a really good idea!
These cookies can be prepared 1 week or 10 days before Christmas and stored in an air-tight container.
Jam Filled Coconut Balls for the Holidays
To make the cookies I used shredded coconut. I was confused for a long time about the difference between shredded and desiccated coconuts. It is not always marked well on the labels either. The shredded coconut is usually in small strips because the fresh coconut is grated. Desiccated coconut is finely ground coconut with fine crumb consistency. Both of them are dried out in dehydrator. They can be dried at home in the oven too, but you have to pay attention not to burn them. I always buy unsweetened shredded coconut. I sweeten it later if necessary.
Condensed Coconut Milk
The other main ingredient is condensed coconut milk. Unfortunately, unsweetened condensed coconut milk is not sold in the Netherlands and I could not make a really good one at home. Because it’s sweetened the recipe is not paleo. I used plum jam, but it’s very delicious with fig jam too. Check the label on the jam and try to buy sugar free. Make sure the jam is thick, this is very important. Otherwise you can’t form the balls without the jam running out.
Jam Filled Coconut Balls
- 240 gram shredded coconut unsweetened
- 190 gram condensed coconut milk I used sweetened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 18 tsp plum or fig jam thick
- Xylitol or erythritol powder for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix shredded coconut, condensed coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl. Combine them well, until you get a homogeneous dough.
- Take walnut size of the dough and shape into balls. Use rubber gloves or grease your hand with coconut oil, because the dough is a bit sticky.
- Form the ball to circle shape in your palm and place a teaspoon thick plum or fig jam in the middle.
- Fold the edges of the circle to cover the jam and gently roll into balls, then place the balls to the lined baking tray. Leave space between them.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until golden. Leave the balls perfectly cool! Balls fall apart when they are warm.
- Dust the jam filled coconut balls with xylitol or erythritol powder before serving. Enjoy!